Sunday, October 18, 2009

Montessori obsession


I have a slight obsession with all things Montessori lately. I have been reading, researching, and educating myself on the philosophy behind this unique style of education. Let me back up a little bit though. It all started when, at the age of 1 1/2, I decided that C needed to go to school. Ha! I don't know which crazy hormone went haywire, but I thought she should be in school as quickly as possible. And so I went shopping. . . school shopping, that is. I ended up registering at two different preschools and when it came down to making a decision, something inside me (a loving nudge from God) said, "this isn't necessary." Needless to say, she didn't go. When preschool registration rolled around again this year, I felt that same loving nudge telling me this wasn't what C needed. My views on preschool and education in general have changed drastically since this little person entered my life, but I'll save those opinions for another post. Since I feel so strongly that the most important place for my child to be at the tender age of 2 is with me, I knew that I had to begin to create a rich learning environment for her right here in the comfort of her own home. This is where she will thrive the most and this is where we (hubby and I) can provide her with everything she needs at this time. But it is not a job to be taken lightly! I needed a way to incorporate the joy of learning with the sheer joy of being 2. That is where the whole Montessori obsession began. It just makes sense to C and me. It is a natural extension of our daily lives without feeling like "school." So throughout this blog, I will post about various activities that I have created for C. (She calls them her "tivities," so that is what I'll call them from now on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment